The future we want – the UN we need
Highlighting the importance of global governance and celebrating the Day of Multilateralism
The Swedish Ministry for Foreign Affairs and the Global Challenges Foundation invites you to celebrate the Day of Multilateralism and take part in a discussion about a UN fit for the future.
As the UN is entering its 75th year of operation, different global challenges than the ones that sparked its formation have emerged. Global threats such as climate change, loss of biodiversity, the onset of pandemics such as the Corona virus and the Arctic’s accelerated ice melt share a commonality – they do not know or respect national borders. These threats are transnational by nature but we must ask ourselves if the governance structures required to meet them are strong enough.
The global governance structure offered by the UN remains a key component in establishing a robust multilateral structure. Sweden and Qatar are jointly responsible for facilitating the intergovernmental negotiation on the Declaration for the Commemoration of the 75th anniversary of the UN. This declaration is an important opportunity for the global community's effort to meet these common challenges.
- Welcome note by moderator Mr. Jens Orback, Executive Director of Global Challenges Foundation
- Opening remarks by Mrs. Ann Linde, Minister for Foreign Affairs, Ministry for Foreign Affairs, Sweden
- Statement by Mr. Jean Asselborn, Minister for Foreign Affairs, Ministry for Foreign Affairs, Luxembourg
13:15 Keynote address
Keynote address by Mr. Fabrizio Hochschild -Drummond, Special Advisor on the Preparations for the Commemoration of the United Nations’ 75th Anniversary.
- What kind of UN does the people want? – Reporting on the global dialogue process The future we want – the UN we need.
13:22 Keynote address
Keynote address by Dr. Augusto Lopez-Claros – co-author of Global Governance and the Emergence of Global Institutions for the 21st Century and winner of the New Shape Prize organized by Global Challenges Foundation.
- Global Governance for the 21st Century – a reform proposal for the UN
13:30 Panel discussion
Panel discussion with:
- Mr. Fabrizio Hochschild-Drummond, Special Advisor on the Preparations for the Commemoration of the United Nations’ 75th Anniversary
- Dr. Augusto Lopez-Claros – co-author of Global Governance and the Emergence of Global Institutions for the 21st Century
- Mrs. Anna-Karin Eneström, Sweden’s UN ambassador
- Mrs. Alya bint Ahmed Al Thani, Qatar’s UN ambassador
- Ms. Rosaline Marbinah, Chairman of the National Council for Swedish Youth Organizations
14:25 Concluding remarks
Concluding remarks by Mr. Jens Orback, Executive Director of Global Challenges Foundation
14:30 End of conference