UN75 Global Governance Forum
The UN’s 75th anniversary brings together dynamic leaders worldwide from governments, civil society, and the technology, business, and philanthropic communities. The landmark UN75 Global Governance Forum interactive global virtual event is in September (16th and 17th, with community driven events on September 18th).
How do we harness our collective power to advance the UN’s founding principles, in a new age of connectivity to cope better with the COVID-19 pandemic, climate change, armed conflict, potentially disruptive technologies, and other pressing global challenges? How can we harness our collective strength among stakeholders?
The event fosters new kinds of far-reaching partnerships with the United Nations system to better address global peace and security, sustainable development, human rights and humanitarian response, and climate governance challenges.
The Honorary Co-Chairs for this event include Ban Ki-moon, eight Secretary-General of the United Nations; Dr. Madeleine Albright, former U.S. Secretary of State; Dr. Gro Harlem Brundtland, former Director-General of the World Health Organization and Prime Minister of Norway; and Professor Ibrahim Gambari, former Nigerian Foreign Minister and UN Under-Secretary General for Political Affairs.
The Global Challenges Foundation partners with leading global governance innovators, including The Stimson Center, One Earth Future Foundation, Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung, and Global Governance Philanthropy Network, alongside thirty-five other partner organizations, in preparing this forum
Participants will seek collectively to raise the ambition of the UN75 Declaration—to be finalized in June 2020 by Member States—by initiating new multi-stakeholder pilot projects.
The Global Challenges Foundation arranges and participates in the following sessions:
Registration link to UN75 Global Governance Forum is now open!
All hours given in Eastern Standard Time.
September 16, 10:30 Climate Governance: The Paris Agreement and Beyond
Moderator: Magnus Jiborn, Senior Researcher at Global Challenges Foundation and Maja Groff, Convener, Climate Governance Commission and Visiting Professor at Leiden University
- Mary Robinson, former President of Ireland, Chair of The Elders
- Wanjira Mathai, Vice President and Regional Director for Africa of the World Resources Institute
- Lloyd Axworthy, former Foreign Minister of Canada and Chair, World Refugee Council
- Adriana Abdenur, Co-Founder of CIPO and Member of the UN’s Committee on Development Policy
- Arunabha Ghosh, Founder and CEO, Council on Energy, Environment and Water
September 16, 12:00 The Future of Philanthropy in Global Governance
Moderator: Maria Kisumbi, Senior Adviser, Policy & Government Relations, Humanity United and former Coordinator of Law and Advocacy for Women in Uganda
- Jens Orback, President of the Global Challenges Foundation
- Marcel Arsenault, Founder, One Earth Future Foundation
- Sandra Breka, Member of the Board of Management of Robert Bosch Stiftung
September 17, 09:25 Climate Governance Partnerships Presentations
Climate Governance Commission: 21st Century Governance Driving Exponential Climate Action led by the Global Challenges Foundation
September 17, 11:00 Closing Plenary: Bringing it all together
Segment 1 Speakers:
- Innovation Track: Adriana Abdenur, Co-Founder of CIPO
- Partnership Track: Juan Fernando Lucia, Director, PASO Colombia, One Earth Future
- Roadmap: Anja Olin-Pape, Expert on Youth Policy, Global Challenges Foundation
September 18, 09:00 One Earth System, One Heritage, One Pact: Stockholm+50, an Opportunity to Restore a Well- functioning Earth System/Stable Climate
- Paulo Magalhães, Founder and President of Common Home of Humanity
- Earl James, Board Member, Common Homes of Humanity
- Maria Fernanda Espinosa, former President of the United Nations General Assembly
- Izabella Teixiera, former Minister of the Environment of Brazil, Co-chair of the International Resource Panel
- Magnus Jiborn, Senior Researcher, Global Challenges Foundation
September 18, 12:00 “Global Governance and the Emergence of Global Institutions for the 21st Century” book presentation
- Maja Groff, Visiting Professor from Leiden University
- Arthur L. Dahl, President of International Environment Forum
- Augusto Lopez- Claros, Chair of Global Governance Forum
- Robert Rotberg, Professor from Harvard University, Kennedy School
- Joseph Baratta, Historian, Author of The Politics of World Federation